- Discount rate: rate R2 (nonheating) or R4 (heating) to income eligible customers who have residential service in their name. The discount is usually 35% for elders. To qualify you must receive one of several types of public assistance, including: Fuel Assistance, Public/Subsidized Housing, MassHealth, SSI, Food Stamps, certain VA benefits, Mass Comm for the Blind, Emergency Assistance to the Elderly, Disabled, and Children (EAEDC). For more info or any questions regarding eligibility, call the Customer Service 877-659-6326, or contact BCAC 413-445-4503. Application available online.
- New Start is an arrearage management program which helps customers who qualify for and received Fuel Assistance to pay off there account balance. Your current account balance must be $300 or more and at least 60 days overdue. Your income must fall at or below 60 percent of the estimated state median income. Call NewStart toll-free at 1-877-963-2632.
- Weatherization: partners with Berkshire Community Action Council to provide weatherization measures to help renters and homeowners reduce their energy bills by making their homes more energy efficient and comfortable. Provides services to income-eligible customers, regardless of the heat source. To determine if you are income eligible or for more info contact BCAC or visit the Mass Save website www.masssave.com.
Protection from disconnection of service due to non-payment is provided when:
- All members of the household are sixty-five years of age or older (written proof of age required);
- The customer cannot afford to pay the overdue utility bills because of financial hardship (written declaration of financial hardship required); AND
- All adult members of the household are sixty-five years of age or older; AND a minor child resides in the home (written proof of age required).
- A member of the household has a physician-certified "serious or chronic" illness.
- A child under twelve months of age resides in the home. (Written proof of age required)
- The customer heats the home by electricity. Protection from disconnection of service is only provided during the winter period of November 15 to March 15.
Complaints: Mass Dept Public Utilities 877-886-5066 or mass.gov/dpu
Last formal update: 12/2020